Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Homemade flaxseed gel - the buzz

Ok, making homemade flaxseed gel is not new, but I recently made a batch over Labor Day weekend for the first time. OMG! #loveit! I went to my local health food store and picked up a bag of flaxseed (linseed). I used a quarter cup of flaxseed and 2 cups of purified water. I added both to a pot and waited for it to boil. Once it started to boil, I began to stir the mixture so the seeds would not stick to the pot. When it reached a slightly thick consistency, I removed it from the stove. In retrospect, I should have removed it sooner because it seems like the blob after I strained and cooled it. I was concerned about hold but it dries with a nice hold. It feels softer the second day.  I was left with the best darn curl definition for a wash n go since I started my journey.  It is easy peasy to make and super cheap because you can re-use the seeds.

Here is a video of how to make it from youtube and my results:




Have you made flaxseed gel?

Update:

I forgot to mention that you should keep the flaxseed gel in the refrigerator so it does not go rancid unless you have a preservative like grapefruit seed extract. About six drops should be sufficient.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...